Tuesday, August 21, 2012

"The Best Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie" Non-Slow-Cooker Recipe


Last week, we celebrated 3 birthdays! That makes for A LOT of sweet treats!  I made frosted brownies for Ella's friend Ava and special cupcakes for my husband within 2 days.  By day 3, I wasn't ready for another super unhealthy treat.  LOL!  For some reason, I had it stuck in my head that I wanted to make a giant chocolate chip cookie. I figured MAYBE there would be a recipe for a healthy chocolate chip cookie somewhere!

I turned to my favorite "sweet-treat" blogger, Chocolate Covered Katie. She never lets me down!  When I went to make Gavin's homemade healthy birthday cake, I used her Chocolate Frosting Shots recipe for the chocolate frosting on Gavin's Monkey Cake for his first birthday.
Katie, has a recipe for "The Best Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies" on her site that I decided to try my hand at for my giant cookie!  She has graciously given me permission to post the recipe here for you!

So, here it is, with my method since I made a giant cookie and did not use nuts.  I  also doubled every ingredient in this recipe for my cookie.  I cooked mine on the small Pampered Chef round pizza stone.


  • 2/3 cup plus 1/2 cup oat flour (140g) (you just put oatmeal into a food processor and process it into dust!)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 4 tbsp brown sugar or brown coconut sugar or Sucanat (I used brown sugar)
  • 4 tbsp xylitol or white sugar or evaporated cane juice (I used white sugar)
  • 1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts or sub another nut (I omitted the nuts)
  • 3 tbsp to 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I did not measure these.....just poured them in until it looked like enough!)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil (I used vegetable)
  • 3-5 tbsp milk of choice, as needed (I ended up using too much and adding more flour, so as you're mixing, add the milk SLOWLY 1 Tbsp. at a time and wait for it to work it's way through your batter.  You don't want your batter to be runny so that it will stay put on your stone!)
Preheat oven to 380 degrees. Combine all dry ingredients and mix very well. Add wet, and form into a big ball. Now make little balls from the big one. For soft cookies, refrigerate until cold (otherwise, just bake right away). Bake 7 minutes, or until they’ve spread out and look just a little undercooked. Remove from oven when they’re still a little undercooked, then it’s important to let cookies cool at least 10 minutes before trying to remove from tray, as they’ll continue to cook while cooling. For soft cookies, store in a lidded plastic container. For crispy cookies, store in a lidded glass container.

I spooned my batter onto my pizza stone and spread it out in a circle, leaving about an inch around the sides.

Since I made one giant cookie, I had no idea how long this was going to need to cook for.  I started with 18 minutes and added 5 minutes each time from there.  I ended up cooking this giant cookie for about 30 minutes.
I waited for it to cool and then frosted it for our birthday celebration!  It was DELICIOUS!!!!  Everyone had seconds....leaving only 5 slices left (which I gave to our neighbors!)  I really hope you try this cookie(s)!  I think your kids will love them!  Thanks Chocolate Covered Katie!




Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment