Friday, August 10, 2012

Stuffed Sweet Peppers

I have to admit, I've never bought Sweet Peppers before!  My good friend Maria says they're the only kind she buys anymore!  I found them to have a milder flavor than bell peppers.  They are not spicy at all, despite the way they look.

I picked up my sweet peppers at the Farmer's Market.  I have to believe they sell these at the grocery store as well, but I've never "noticed" them before because I've never looked for them!  I'm sure you'll find them!

These stuffed peppers had a very mild flavor.  My husband said they were "missing something."  I think more salt would be the fix here.  I was trying to keep these very healthy, so I didn't add much.   I also wanted really uncomplicated flavors, so I kept the ingredients simple.  I know many put a tomato sauce on top of their stuffed peppers, but I didn't want to do that.

These do take some time to prepare.  I would say a minimum of a half hour is needed to prepare these.  There was enough stuffing for at least 6 more peppers than I made, so I've changed that in the ingredients below.  The stuffing was delicious on it's own, by the way!!!  I have never cooked quinoa before and I am now a huge fan!  I actually served the remainder on the side and really enjoyed it!  The peppers themselves are not extremely filling, so beware of that.

Stuffed Sweet Peppers


Ingredients:
12-13 Sweet Peppers, tops off and seeds and membranes removed
1 cup quinoa
1/4 lb. ground beef
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt, divided
3 dashes of pepper
1 large tomato, chopped
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
3/4 cup Pinot Grigio, divided
1/4 cup chopped, fresh parsley

Directions:


Start by getting your quinoa ready.
In a pan, add the water, 1/2 cup wine and quinoa.
Bring to a boil, turn it down to a simmer, then let it cook covered for 10 mins. or so (or until all the water is absorbed)

Cook the ground beef with onions, garlic powder, onion powder. cumin, 1/4 tsp. salt and dash of pepper.
(I cooked my onions after my beef, but only because I got pulled away from prepping stuff by little Gavin and my meat cooked to fast for me to add them in at that point!)

While that is cooking, work on your sweet peppers.  
You will need to cut the tops off,
then kind of release the white membrane with your knife and pull it out.
I rinsed the seeds out of mine.
Now they are all ready to go.

Get back to your stuffing mixture now.  
In a bowl, mix together the ground beef, onions, tomatoes, parsley, mozzarella, 1/2 tsp. salt and cooked quinoa.

Stuff each pepper by spooning the mixture in and gently pressing it in so it fills up.

Place all your stuffed peppers into your crock and add the remaining 1/4 cup wine.

Cook on LOW for 6-7 hours or on HIGH for 3-3.5 hours.
Serve and ENJOY!




Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, looks yummy! My parents are throwing a dinner party soon; I'll suggest this to them.

    ReplyDelete